Published in my weekly column in The Tribune — on August 19, 2020.
https://aliciaawallace.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Screen-Shot-2020-08-19-at-9.38.35-PM.png 1184 1324 Alicia https://aliciaawallace.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/alicia-logo.jpg Alicia2020-08-20 01:49:462021-04-06 02:15:19Culture Clash: Minute-by-Minute Decisions Will Not Work on COVID-19
https://aliciaawallace.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Screen-Shot-2020-08-19-at-9.52.29-PM.png 468 1326 Alicia https://aliciaawallace.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/alicia-logo.jpg Alicia2020-08-14 01:50:392021-04-06 02:15:38Culture Clash: Too Many Unanswered Questions and Lack of Respect
Have a plan to handle the lockdown at home
Published in my weekly column in The Tribune on August 12, 2020.
https://aliciaawallace.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/learn.png 242 607 Alicia https://aliciaawallace.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/alicia-logo.jpg Alicia2020-04-23 20:15:452020-04-23 20:15:45Let’s Do Things Better
- Agencies need to create a line management system. When there are many people on a line, especially in a limited space, it is difficult to maintain the appropriate distance. Make it easier for everyone. Offer drive-thru service and where that is not possible, have people in place to manage the line.
- This is one of the most difficult times in people’s lives. This does not define them. They deserve their dignity. Do not photograph people who are seeking assistance and do not share these images and offer demeaning commentary. It is cruel and unhelpful.
- Money is the best assistance. People need food, but the non-perishables provided are often high in sodium, lack nutrients and quickly become over-consumed. Allow people to prioritise their needs. Even if their focus is on food, they should have the opportunity to purchase fresh items. They may also need to purchase medication, phone credit, gas and other commodities. Help to make it possible by putting money in their hands.
- Some households have babies and elderly people. They have completely different needs including diapers and nutritional supplements.
- People will go to multiple sources for assistance. This does not mean they are greedy. It means they are getting information and doing their best to meet their needs. No single source is giving enough for people to go home and not worry for the rest of the month or even the week. They are trying to survive, and this does not deserve ridicule or rebuke.
Published by The Tribune on April 22, 2020.
https://aliciaawallace.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Needplan.png 133 657 Alicia https://aliciaawallace.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/alicia-logo.jpg Alicia2020-04-16 19:01:542020-04-16 19:18:05We Need a Proper Plan, Not Just Reactions
I’ve learnt a structured day is important to me
Books can help us escape
Published by The Tribune on April 15, 2020.